Thursday, March 3, 2011

Part of the Job

The girls were up early this morning, 4ish. Karl, being the awesome dad/husband that he is, was up with them.

 

On the way to Brady’s preschool, Reese fell asleep in the car. So that I wouldn’t waste gas driving all the way home, I parked in a nearby mall’s parking lot and sat in the car for two hours while Reese napped. Luckily I had a novel in the car.

 

In all the time I had sitting in the car, I was thinking about sitting there and how really I didn’t mind it one bit. It made be think about the things I happily do as a mom to provide for my kids, things that other people label as ‘sacrifices’ yet I don’t see them that way.

 

Here is the small list I came up with:

-sitting in the van, so my kids can finish their much needed nap

-listening to the same CDs over and over again, one because they love that music, two so they aren’t exposed to the inappropriate music on the radio (honestly, I have been driving in the car by myself, and find I don’t enjoy the radio as much, and end up listening to those CDs)

-sleeping on the floor on the girls’ bedroom to make them feel safe enough to fall asleep

-eating my meals after theirs, because I have to address their needs

-cleaning up water from the entire bathroom floor, because when I feel asleep when they were watching their TV show, they decided to have a water fight

-taking twice as long to cook dinner because I have little ‘helpers’

-folding the laundry more than once because again I have little helpers

 

Honestly I think being a stay at home mom allows me to have my one focus on my kids, which in turn allows me to enjoy tasks that others might call sacrifices. I hope that when I have to return to work, I will still be able to enjoy all tasks like this.

 

So moms out there, young and old, what are the small things you enjoy that others might see as a sacrifice?

3 comments:

  1. Great post, Christy! I agree with you 110%. Here are some of the "sacrifices" or little things that I love doing as a SAHM:

    - We have basic cable without all the bells and whistles in order to save money, so that I can stay at home with my kids
    - I too listen to their "kid music" ALL the TIME in the car!
    - I plan an extra 10-15 minutes whenever I am doing anything, so that they can "help"
    - I let them push the kid-size shopping carts in the grocery store because they think its fun, though it takes me 3 times as long to shop!
    - I have been known to drive around or sit in my car while they nap :)
    -There are some days that I don't get a shower, but that's okay because I spent time reading with my kids instead:)

    I love being a Mom and wouldn't trade it for the world!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK Christy, I've been thinking about this one since you posted this, and one hit me this weekend. I don't mind one bit putting away the diapers that get pulled out of the organizer one by one with squels everytime Mikayla goes by it (same goes with the tupperware, etc that she pulls out of the cabinets when she is playing in the kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hmm...you listed quite a few that I feel are small things as well but here are just a few more

    * I can't handle blood or throw up or any of that but when it comes to my children I become a completely different person and that stuff doesn't even phase me.
    *I drive a few extra miles out of the way just so JD can feel like he is navigating and telling me where to go.
    *I wash our dishes, pots and pans over and over again just so JD can play drums on them.
    *I'll let my arms go to sleep just so I don't have to miss out on holding my little ones.

    Ah, the joys of being a mommy. There is no greater feeling in the world!

    ReplyDelete