Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Elli Dew and Vesicoureteral Reflux

Some of you have heard before Elliot was even born that she had fluid on her left kidney. It was seen during one of my ultrasounds. They told us it would more than likely resolve itself by the time she was born. She had testing done the day after she was born and they still saw fluid on her left kidney and then started talking about duplicate voiding system, which in my tired state tried to understand, but I remembering looking at Karl afterwards and asking "did the say something about pelvis?". Well after a couple visits to the local pediatric nephrologist and a VCUG test, we got her diagnosis yesterday.

Elliot has VUR (Vesicoureteral Reflux) grade III. There are five grades of VUR, five being the worst case and usually needing surgery to correct. Elli's is grade 3 and for now will need to take daily antibiotics to prevent UTIs. The reason UTI's need to be prevented is due the the reflux (backwards movement of urine). Bacteria is tracked into the bladder and then back into the ureter. If a kid has too many UTIs there is potential for scarring and damage to the kidneys. Elli Dew will get the VCUG yearly to see if she has outgrown the condition. My friend's daughter had the same condition and outgrew it at about 4 years old. We are very thankful that surgery is not needed at this time, and her doctor said she has about an 80% chance of outgrowing this and not needing surgery as a child.

Now about those double organs and pelvis, I thought I heard them mention in the hospital ... Elli's ureter splits into two. So on her bladder on the left side there is one ureter but on the way to the kidney it splits into two. Then the collecting part of the kidney, renal pelvis (ah-ha! I knew I heard pelvis) is duplicated on her left side. I don't really know the implications of this, but hopefully will learn more later. Her doctor is a little 'salty' and can't hear me when I ask my questions. So, I have learned most of my info from the internet, and there isn't too much out there about duplicated renal pelvis.

This condition causes no direct pain. The only pain would be from the UTIs, but with her medication she should not have much of this to deal with.

Hope this answers some questions and gives insight to those family members and friends who are curious.

4 comments:

  1. praying that this will be something she is able to grow out of!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It would have been great to be a lower grade but at least, Elli does not need surgery. Hopefully, she will be in the 80 percent that outgrows it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There have been 2 girls at our church with something very similar and both have outgrown it!!! Praying the same for sweet Elli!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Christy, I had something almost identical as an infant. Had surgery at 6 months old (before I was even diagnosed), and then I outgrew the condition by 3rd grade just when they were ready to schedule the surgery to repair it. I actually still remember going to the hospital for the reflux tests each year. They weren't any fun at all back then, but I am sure that the technology is much better now. I'm praying for her complete healing.

    ReplyDelete