Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Letting Go

I have been struggling lately with my daughter's choice in extra curricular activities. This is an inner struggle that I realize and acknowledge, but I think I have let some of my innerness seep out.

My daughter is very talented (for her age) in ballet. She also shows tremendous potential. She was one of a handful girls advanced to the lower pre-professional level for the fall. Except she wants nothing to do with ballet this fall. Nothing. At. All.

Let me remind you this is something three years ago I wanted her to have nothing to do with. Now I am having a hard time letting her step away. Crazy mama here. I wanted to watch her excel. I wanted to have the kid that is advanced. I wanted to watch her do the Nutcracker just like I did when I was little. I wanted to be the costume seamstress. Then I realized I was saying 'I' instead of 'She'. So I have come to peace with the closing of this door. Yesterday was her last class.


This class was the parent observation day. The whole family came. I stated at dinner to Elli, "We are going to Brady's ballet class." Elli simply replied, "No, Elli's class." She had already had me do a bun in her hair when I fixed up Brady's hair. Luckily I had a tiny pair of dance shoes in the car as well.

Elli walked right into that studio and straight to where all the 6-8 year olds were. She honestly believed it was her turn to dance.


 We politely scooted her over to the side but she didn't stop imitating what she saw.

 Then today, she got into the bun making supplies, asked for a bun and her ballet shoes.


"When one door closes, the two year goes and opens it back up"

1 comment:

  1. Barbara DeWees aka GrandmaJuly 30, 2014 at 5:13 PM

    Sad Grandma. However, Elli sure does make

    a really cute ballet dancer.

    ReplyDelete