Tuesday, October 7, 2014

The Power of Hair




As many of you know, we are lightly potty training Elli. We were told by her nephrologist to NOT potty train. So our answer was to casually do it, because she was ready. So we almost never force her to sit on the pot. We ask if she wants to, then if she says no, we don't. Tonight I knew she was overdue, so I asked her if she wanted to go. She said "no thank you, mommy". I then said if you go, I will take my hair down (currently in a ponytail) and let you play with it. That little girl ran to the potty.

Then I thought, did I really just bribe my child with my hair? And did it really just work? WOW!

She did her business and immediately started playing with my hair. Then after about 6-7 minutes, something drew her attention away (I think it was Daddy reading a book in the other room). She took three steps away from my hair, then turns a 180 while saying "one more time." She caresses my hair for a few strokes and then runs off to listen to the book.

Fast forward one hour:

I am singing Elli her good night song, the last step in the good night routine. She normally assumes her position, sucking her right thumb while rubbing my hair with her left hand. I give her a kiss and say "Good night, Elli, I love you"...Her reply... " I love your hair, Mommy"


This is a habit that started very early. I was blogging about it by her 8th month.

What a sweet little Elli Dew!

No comments:

Post a Comment