Friday, October 2, 2015

Show and Tell

Do you remember what you brought to show and tell in First Grade? I do!

I brought my GRANNY! 


I thought she was special and I wanted the class to know about her. Well, today I am choosing to show you pictures and tell you about her. 

My Granny, Dora, saw a lot in her lifetime. She lived for 96 years! 96 years people! I am pretty sure I will not be able to say the same. She claimed on her death bed to never remember having a headache even. Nor did she ever have prescription medicine. I know I can't say the same. Heck I took prescription medicine for years because of the chronic headaches I had.  She was a teenager in the Great Depression and raised her five babies during the Second World War with a husband that was off to sea. That alone amazes me. What a strong woman!

Therefore you won't be surprised that Granny was a pistol. A trait I believe was so lovingly passed to my mom and then passed to me. She was a lady who confidently knew how she felt about a topic and then made sure everyone in the room knew her opinion. You knew as a kid when you visited her house, there were off limits areas: namely her piano. She didn't spoil me in the way you traditionally think of grandparents spoiling their grand babies these days, but she did spoil me with love. I don't remember a single material gift she gave me (even though I am sure there were some), but I remember her making her love clear to me. 

As a kid, I loved her cooking (chicken and dumplings....yummy) and her singing as she worked. As an adult, I loved watching her love on babies, especially my babies. Granny loved her babies. 

Last month we laid Granny to rest in the mountains of Tennessee. Granny loved family, babies, butterflies, purple and lilies. There was all of this at her funeral. 

Granny's pallbearers were her GREAT grandsons. Seven handsome grown men to carry her to her final resting place. She was surrounded by family. 

 Elli released 50 butterflies along side everyone that have single butterflies.
 The butterflies flocked to Granny's spread of lilies on her casket.
 This is a small group of Granny's girls. Granny had lots of family and they came from all over to say farewell.
 Then family gathered to tell stories at the one of the homes where Granny raised her children. This is the rock at which my mom played house and school on with the house in the background.
 The mountain home may be quant but the land it lay on is expansive! There is a bubbling creek and its branches, open fields and trees galore.
 Granny, as I mentioned before, was blessed with five lovely children. Top row: Peggy, Bobby, John Bottom row: Barbara and Donald.  What a lovely crew. I am so glad they were all there to lay Granny to rest.

Granny I love you! I will forever think of you every time I see lilies growing or butterflies flitting. You are forever in my heart!


No comments:

Post a Comment