Brady received a very neat and educational gift for her birthday. Heck, I even learned a whole lot from it!!!
A BUTTERFLY GARDEN!!! We had to wait patiently for the larvae to come in the mail, boy were we excited to find that box in the mail! There were 5 caterpillars inside the jar.
A few days after receiving the larvae, the caterpillars moved their way to the top of the jar and attached themselves to the top with their rear-ends. Then we watched and waited for the chrysalides to form. First thing I was amazed by, they formed the chrysalides within 10 minutes. I thought it would be a slow process. The next thing I was amazed by the caterpillars would move their heads up their body as it formed the chrysalides until it was formed, then the head would fall off.
We then moved the chrysalides from the jar into the ‘cage’. We hung it in our empty dining room and waited the long week while metamorphosis did its thing.
Another thing I learned, butterflies only live 1-2 weeks. So once the butterflies emerged we enjoyed them for a couple days in the ‘cage’ and them we released them. The type of butterfly we had are called Painted Ladies.
Lastly, I found it fascinating that the butterflies excreted a red substance from their rears. I haven’t a clue what purpose that serves.
Thanks Moore Family for such an fun yet educational gift!
What a great gift idea! We did this each year with my 2nd graders and had one caterpillar/butterfly for each kid. It was so neat and I hope something they will always remember too!
ReplyDelete