Monday, April 29, 2013

Math-Minded

I had a very cool experience with Reese tonight.

I was reading a book that encouraged the kids to count how many stars were on a page. Both Brady and Reese tried to count simultaneously out loud,  I suggested they each count a section then we could add the two together. There were 5 on one page and 6 on the other. I asked "what is 5 + 6?" Brady answered 10 quickly while Reese said 11!

I asked Reese how she knew that so quickly. She says "well, mommy, five and five makes ten and six is one more so that is eleven." HOLY COW people she is using logic to simplify math. This is a trick I was trying to teach my eighth graders when I taught public school. For example I would say 6+7 is also 6+4+3 which is 10+3 or 13. Often times this was over their head and my four year old just came up with it on her own...so freaking cool!!!!!

Naturally this frustrated Brady; her reply "My teachers always tell me that I am good at adding, now I have to work on it some more" Oh Brady, just like your papa. Logic for Reese and work for Brady. Either method works and I am lucky to have such smart girls.

Oh my math heart will go to be smiling tonight!

2 comments:

  1. Love it! With Common Core this is all that is taught. Kindergarten is just the numbers 1-19 using Reece's logic. No standard algorithms are taught until 3rd grade. It's all about kids making sense out of it for themselves. Mind if I share this with my class today?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Barbara DeWees aka GrandmaApril 30, 2013 at 7:19 PM

    Reese is your mini me in more ways than one. Way to go, Reese!

    ReplyDelete