Monday, September 30, 2013

In a blink of an eye

These kids just keep growing up. In a blink of an eye. I feel like I have something new I could report to you all nightly on this blog. But all that growing up keeps me busy.

You remember when I said, in this family we celebrate milestones regardless of timing? Also, there are some milestones that feel like a right of passage into parenthood. You know potty training, first day of school, tooth fairy visits, etc. We have a new thing to check off our list.

Brady rode her bike tonight WITHOUT training wheels.

This is a big deal for US.


A while back someone told me about balance bikes. When a kid learns to ride a bike, they need to learn how to pedal and balance. Most kids get a training wheel bikes (like Brady) and learn to pedal first, then balance. But if you get the kid a balance bike first, they learn to balance first and pedaling is a easy after thought. So we started Reese off on a balance bike and she is probably going to be riding a bike (w/o training wheels within the next month). Brady's bike had training wheels and Reese's balance bike was too small.


A neighbor friend suggested we take the training wheels AND pedals off Brady's bike, let her mess around with that, then just put the pedals back on. Well she only needed one week of that setup, and here she is. I know the bike is too little but we used that one for confidence. We plan to phase her up soon.

So, if you have a little one, I highly suggest you start with a balance bike and skip training wheels all together!

4 comments:

  1. Barbara DeWees aka GrandmaOctober 1, 2013 at 6:12 AM

    Congrats Brady!!!! You are on the go with lots of milestones being accomplished in the last couple of months.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Barbara DeWees aka GrandmaOctober 1, 2013 at 6:13 AM

    Congrats Brady!!!! You are on the go with lots of milestones being accomplished in the last couple of months.

    ReplyDelete