Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Copenhagen Day Three: "To travel is to live"

Today is a Monday. Mondays in Denmark means lots of (government run) tourist hot spots are closed. So we hit up a lot of random spots, and still had a blast. 

Blu Planet, an aquarium, is one of the newest tourist additions to Copenhagen. Built about three years ago, it is a architectural sight to behold. Honestly though, seeing the building from the outside was the best part. 
 Even though the constant flowing of locals and tourists into the place told us otherwise, this place was small and short coming of our expectations. The most interesting thing inside was the school of fish that are in a cylindrical tank. They swam in a small circle over and over and over; there were the rogue few that rebelled. I gave them a virtual high-five, well high-fin.
 I do chuckle EVERY time I see the under side of a ray.
 The Aquarium experience that filled up 45 minutes of the expected three hours, left us walking around and just enjoying the sights. We stopped for lunch and this was our view. I love it! I think just looking at all the buildings has been my favorite part so far.


 We spent our afternoon at the Hans Christian Andersen Museum. Learning about H. C. (as the locals refer to him) is one of the things I looked forward to the most. This quote made me smile.

 The museum featured many of his fairy tales in three minute summaries with animated scenes.
"The Little Mermaid"
 "The Little Match Girl"
 "Thumbelina"

 Again, these buildings...amazing! This is City Hall. Don't ask what that goofy man is doing in the front!
 Another dose of H. C.
I sat on his knee and asked him to tell me another story, and he rudely turned his head. The nerve!
 What is a trip without a little aerospace. I know we are all shocked that Karl wanted to visit the Tycho Brahes Planetarium. Again, like the aquarium, the facade was the most intriguing part. At least we both appreciate a pretty building.
 I did wish our space loving Reese was with us since they had a scale representation of all the planets. See itty bitty Earth behind Jupiter? That was about it for displays.
 There is so much ingenious public art here. Here there were about five pieces for the kids (young and old) to climb on. Also, notice the cobblestones. This is what 95% of the sidewalks are like. So you are constantly walking on uneven surfaces. It has been interesting with the two pair of shoes I choose to pack.
 Another interesting thing about the city is there are as many bikers and car drivers. Every street corner looks like this. There are also bikes with cabins on the front so parents can tote multiple kids around or pile in groceries.
 Another date night... we were just playing around, our faces don't accurately display the great fun we are having!



1 comment: