Saturday, May 17, 2014

America's Kids Run, Year Two

Last year, we attempted to have the girls run in their first organized race. It ended tearfully without passing the finish line. This year they didn't want to do it. They remembered last year. But we like to push our girls outside of their comfort zone occasionally so they can see that they don't need to be scared. This race is done right here on base, so there are always neighborhood friends there to run with or cheer on. The 5 and 6 year olds run 1/2 mile.

I love this pre-race photo. 
 Always make sure to warm up. I swear I just gave birth to my first child and that girl (that looks twelve) in the pink shorts is not mine.
 Reese was happy to help out a neighbor. I guess I raise lil mommas.
 All smiles mid race.
 Reese did need extra encouragement from me. I ran beside her the entire time and pumped her up the entire way. She gets frustrated that she doesn't run as fast as her peers (only one kid behind us). But while running/walking we talked about everyone has different things they excel at. Reese gave it one good last sprint at the finish line.


 Then the girls stayed to cheer on a neighbor in the next age category that ran one mile.

 Meanwhile, Elli observed older girls doing cartwheels for about five minutes. Apparently, she absorbed it all, since her attempt is quite valid!




Today was a success! Both girls crossed the finish line and without tears. This momma did shed a tear of pride though. 

2 comments:

  1. so fun... I love those pictures

    ReplyDelete
  2. Barbara DeWees aka GrandmaMay 21, 2014 at 4:33 PM

    That is awesome. I am glad they finish the run with a smile on their faces. Elli is so adorable.

    ReplyDelete