I know all kids go through rough phases. At first I felt as though I had two kids going through phases at the same time. Was it school starting? Adjustment to baby? Impending move? All of the above combined into one? Either way, the cause aside, this wasn't a phase, we have consistent bratty behavior on our hands that NEEDS to be corrected asap. Minor triggers would cause catastrophe. Appreciation of the good in their lives had gone out the windows.
On Monday morning, both girls had a major tantrum, one over clothes the other over having to give Elli her goodbye kiss second. It was time for major mommy intervention. While the girls were at school, I got to work. Almost all the toys are packed away. Clothes are put away so that their wardrobe contains less then 10 outfits a piece. Not even the bath has any toys.
Thank goodness for the extra bedroom so that I have a place to lock up all the toys.
So I have a Good Behavior chart posted on the fridge. We are focusing on the positive here. There are five bullets for the girls:
· Happily share with your sisters
· Listen to parents the first time
· Use manners: please, thank you,
excuse me
· Use happy voice when asking for
something
· Help out around the house
If they have good behavior all day they will have a toy and outfit returned to them.
Now if I feel the kids are heading towards bad behavior, I kindly take their hand and read the good behavior chart, emphasizing the bullet that needs work.
Brady loves these new boundaries. She ran around showing Karl the empty house when he got home from work Monday. Today, she said "Mommy, I love earning my toys, this is so fun!" Reese on the other hand is trying to figure out how strong those boundaries are. She needs the chart read to her about 5 times a day but she corrects the behavior easily after reading the bullets. We have not have a single tantrum since this was implemented two days ago. I know you are thinking that is not that long, but considering their behavior before then, I am sure we are making progress.
Hopefully we are back to the sweet behaved girls that I so often brag about.
As a side note, I love seeing the girls use their imagination with the few toys they have access to.
Good for you, Christy! Parenting is hard...especially when it is done right. I love what you have done and believe that it is and will make a huge difference!
ReplyDeleteGreat Job, Christy! It will work. We started a behavior chart with Claire this summer to correct behavior. It worked great!
ReplyDeleteLOVE this! we have the same problem here... tantrum over absolutely silly things! it def stems from the big move, culture shock, daddy being gone!!! I have taken all the toys away but my little devil doesn't care!!! i need to implement the good behavior chart!! just love it!!! thank you for sharing!!!
ReplyDelete