When I lived in Virginia Beach, there was so much to do with toddlers in the area, I felt like I couldn’t never fit it all in. Thus, I never took advantage of the activities sponsored on the military base. That isn’t the case here in Pensacola. This city is seriously lacking in activities during the day for toddlers. So anytime the base offers something I am there, for example the free bimonthly movies on the lawn.
Therefore I was excited to read about a children’s summer reading program they are doing once a week. I will say though, it is being held at the base library, and I judged a book by its cover. I thought to myself, what kind of kid section would there be. Boy, was I pleasantly surprised. The books are fresh and well bound. The section is glassed off so you don’t have to keep reminding the kids to whisper. AND there are SUPER cool books to sit on.
The sailors read to the kids. I love to see my kids trust these sailors who fight for our freedom.
This was my favorite moment. This book the sailor would read the book facing him and then flip it around to show everyone the pictures. Reese caught onto this very quickly. So she would show everyone her book too. Now when she reads her books in the van, she turns the book around to show me the pictures. Fun!
Each week they also plan a craft for the kids. The first week they decorated the backs of shirts. The front has the logo of the program on it. Therefore, each week we come we can wear them and show our pride in reading!
Thanks Pensacola MWR for having this summer event!
Ooooh, how fun! Let me know when the next reading time is and we'll join you. They might need a little military force to hold Brady (our Brady) down to listen to a book, but the big boots might just be the ticket. Thanks for sharing good ideas!
ReplyDeleteFun program!!!
ReplyDeleteWhat a great idea!!! Love the shirts and that the sailors read to the kids. Precious! I wish all kids could experience this and truly appreciate our military!
ReplyDelete