Well let’s start from the beginning. Last fall in the newsletter for Brady’s school there was an inquiry for a volunteer for the MATHCOUNTS team for the middle school students. I love math so I jumped on the opportunity, however I had to bring my kids with me since they meet at 3:00 in the afternoon. The principal set up for a 7th grader to do her community service during the club meetings and watch the girls. The girls LOVED spending time with Morgan!
So as the MATHCOUNTS coach, I felt like I spent the whole fall and most of the winter just trying to figure what was best to prepare the kids for the local competition. A competition I didn’t know much about (well I knew nothing, let’s be honest). But I spent a lot of the time feeling like I was getting no where, or where I wanted to with them.
In January, I got it figured out and really started seeing the light bulbs going off, it was really rewarding.
Well this is where this post is going…. The regional MATHCOUNTS competition was this past weekend. We brought 7 students and from there also entered a four person team. MY STUDENTS PLACED 2ND IN TEAM AND ONE GIRL PLACED 2ND IN INDIVIDUALS!!!! I had a wonderful Saturday with my students and watching them working super hard on the math problems. ALso, of the top ten students we had three!!!! What made me really happy was all three were girls…yah for girls loving math in middle school!
Well, at this competition the top teams and top two individuals move onto the state level competition!!!! Yes, my team is competing in Orlando at the end of March…. WOHOO!
I am so proud of the kids! I want to post a picture of them, but I didn’t get the families permission!
Wow awesome!!!!!! Good job. Your hard work paid off. That is really awesome.
ReplyDeleteThat is awesome! Way to go, Coach!!!
ReplyDeleteI'm so glad you get to stay plugged in to teaching Math...go Christy!
ReplyDeleteCongratulations, Christy! I guess you just proved the old adage--Once a teacher, always a teacher.....
ReplyDelete