Monday, February 13, 2012

Amoeba Ball

When I was growing up, my family always referred to soccer for itty bitties as 'amoeba ball' because all the kids swarm around the ball like a little amoeba, even the goalie forgetting where to stand for their position.

The day I found out we were having a third girl, my thoughts went to Reese and how to overcome the 'middle child' syndrome. I had decided one way is to encourage her to partake in extracurricular activities different than her sisters so she can shine on her own in that way. So about an hour after we found out about Elliot, Reese randomly starts talking about how much she likes playing football with daddy. Karl and I discussed already how she might enjoy soccer, so that day we decided to sign Reese up for soccer.

Today was her first practice. She is on a co-ed team at the YMCA with three and four year olds. I was a little worried about the co-ed part because she often proclaims that she doesn't like boys. Today couldn't have gone any better! She handled the ball well and she handled being the only girl VERY well. The best part was that she was smiling the whole time, and even squealed out of excitement at one time.

A little hesitant at the beginning, not into high fives quite yet!
 First drill, small kicks weaving through the cones and she was a pro.
 Brady asked "why does this have to be played outside?" We had chilly weather today.
 I introduce team 'Starfox'
 This is my favorite picture of the night! She just passed the ball to her daddy; the pride in her face makes me tear up.
 GOAL!
 In action...
 Team huddle! Aren't they so so so cute!
Tonight was a special night and I am proud to officially be a soccer mom!

3 comments:

  1. Yay Reese!!! Love the amoeba soccer team!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So fun. That picture with her kicking to Karl is precious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. she is the CUTEST soccer player ever!!! love that she picked my favorite sport :)

    ReplyDelete